IS in Egypt claims rocket attack on Israel
The IS jihadist group's affiliate in Egypt claimed responsibility for a rocket attack on Israel.
CAIRO (AFP) - The Islamic State jihadist group s affiliate in Egypt claimed responsibility for a rocket attack from the Sinai Peninsula into southern Israel on Friday.
"Three Grad rockets were fired at Jewish positions in occupied Palestine," the "Sinai Province" group said in a statement on Twitter.
An Israeli military spokesman said earlier that two rockets fired from Sinai exploded inside Israeli territory without causing casualties.
The IS-linked group said the rocket fire was in retaliation for alleged Israeli support for Egypt s armed forces on Wednesday when the jihadists attacked army checkpoints in northern Sinai.
Egypt s military deployed F-16 warplanes to bombard IS jihadists who battled troops after launching their surprise dawn attack.
Dozens were killed in what was IS s boldest attack yet in the strife-torn Sinai.