Top Turkey tycoon dies of heart attack aged 55: hospital
Turkish television reports said Koc had been hit by the heart attack during a morning work-out.
ISTANBUL (AFP) - The chief executive of Turkey s biggest industrial conglomerate Koc Holding, Mustafa Koc, died suddenly aged 55 Thursday following a heart attack, an Istanbul hospital said.
"We lost Mustafa Koc despite all efforts by doctors as a result of a heart attack he had at his home," the American Hospital in Istanbul said in a statement.
Turkish television reports said Koc had been hit by the heart attack during a morning work-out.
Koc was the leader of the third generation of one of Turkey s biggest industrial dynasties which was founded by his grandfather Vehbi Koc in the 1920s.
Under Vehbi Koc and his son Rahmi Koc, the Koc conglomerate expanded to become the most important of the holding companies that dominate Turkish industry, with diverse interests in energy, banking and the automobile sector.
Mustafa Koc took over as chief executive of Koc Holding in 2003. He is survived by his father Rahmi Koc, 85. Vehbi Koc died in 1996 aged 94.
Koc Holding and some 100 subsidiaries account for around nine percent of Turkish exports and eight percent of its GDP.