Indian Deputy High Commissioner JP Singh bid farewell to Uzma at Wagah border.

LAHORE (Dunya News) – Indian woman returned to her homeland India through Wagah border on Thursday.

Islamabad High Court (IHC) had a day before permitted Uzma to travel India after she filed plea that she had to attend her ailing daughter. The hearing was adjourned till next week.

Uzma travelled to Lahore from Islamabad and was accompanied by Indian Deputy High Commissioner JP Singh who bid her farewell at the border. Her documents were checked and was then allowed to cross the border where she was warmly received by the Indian authorities. She had stayed in Pakistan for 25 days.

Indian External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj took to twitter and welcomed her back to the country.

Uzma-Tahir marriage saga

Uzma and Tahir fell in love after meeting in Malaysia and contracted Nikkah on May 3 in Pakistan. The couple then approached Indian High Commission to apply for visas however; she did not return after being called by an official.

Later, the Indian High Commission asserted that Uzma had sought refuge and asked for legal help to be repatriated to India. She claimed that she came to know about Tahir’s first marriage and four children after tying knot with him.

The Indian High Commission provided an attorney, transportation and security to Uzma after which she appeared before a local court in Islamabad.

Judicial Magistrate Haider Ali Shah summoned Tahir, the cleric who solemnized the marriage and witnesses in the case on July 11.

On the other hand, Tahir had refuted all the accusations and said that they both knew about each other’s first marriage and children.

India contacted Pakistan Foreign Office and asked to provide Uzma’s details to them over which FO spokesperson responded that her case is currently in court and she will be repatriated to India once the legal requirements are fulfilled.

Uzma’s claims of being forced to marry on gunpoint were uncovered after her Nikkah video and whatsapp messages surfaced on media.