Iftar Time Ramadan 4
Lahore
LHR
05:57 PM
Karachi
KHI
06:31 PM
Islamabad
ISB
06:02 PM
Peshawar
PWR
06:05 PM
Quetta
QTA
06:29 PM
Ramadan Pedia

Sindh Police IG expresses no-confidence over SC bench in Karachi unrest case

Dunya News

Inquiry committee filed a report regarding illegal recruitments and corruption in Sindh Police

KARACHI (Dunya News) – Sindh Police Inspector General (IG) has expressed no-confidence over Supreme Court’s (SC) bench in Karachi unrest case however, the court rejected the plea, Dunya News reported Thursday.

Five-member bench of the court headed by Chief Justice Anwar Zaheer Jamali held hearing of Karachi unrest case while inquiry committee filed report pertaining to issuance of funds for investigation against the Inspector General.

IG’s counsel Farooq H Naik moved the plea maintaining that the bench is partial in the trial. The Inspector General said that Justice Amir Hani Muslim is in contact with the inquiry committee. His respect was not taken into account under the Article-14 of the Constitution, he added.

Justice Amir Hani Muslim replied that the bench is moving the case ahead on the basis of merit. If the party has reservations over his decisions or behavior then a review appeal should be moved, he added.

However, he said that he would not step down as part of the bench hearing Karachi unrest case.

On the other hand, inquiry committee filed a report regarding illegal recruitment and corruption in Sindh Police. Sources said that the report made several key revelations that stunned the court.

According to the report, 99 percent of funds were issued in cash for different investigations which is not legal. Counter Terrorism Department’s (CTD) Additional Inspector General Sanaullah Abbasi stated in the report that Matiari police were issued Rs 5 crore, Kashmore police Rs 1.31 crore, Mithi police Rs 49 lac while special branch was given at least Rs 50 lac in a short span of time.

In 2014 and 2015, illegal recruitment for constable and junior clerk was done in Sindh Police while 913 persons were employed for 794 vacancies in 2012.

Highest number of illegal employees was reported from Sukkur.
Upon questioning, CTD’s Additional Inspector General said that DIG Mazhar Shah, SSP Aitzaz Goraya and Inspector Aslam Langa are responsible for illegal recruitment.

The Sindh Police Inspector General said that he had taken action against illegal recruitment and dismissed the people who did not come true on merit.

However, on court’s question about those officials who employed the wrong people, the Inspector General said that he issued show-cause notices to some of them.

Justice Muslim denied giving copy of the report on illegal recruitment to the Inspector General saying that it was not an order but a report and the bench would do justice.

Earlier on March 8, the court had rejected IG s second consecutive report in the case. 

The Inspector General forwarded a second report today after the previous one was rejected by the court earlier. The report stated that around 159 target killing incidents surfaced in 2015 in the provincial capital while 83 cases registered.

At least 53 criminals were arrested, 15 killed and the personnel tracked down criminals in 25 cases.

However, the Supreme Court again rejected the report terming it unsatisfactory. It should be noted here that the court had termed Sindh Police chiefs first report unsatisfactory also.