Dua Mangi's kidnapping case remains shrouded in mystery

Dunya News

Meanwhile, investigation team has decided to seek assistance from the FIA in the same case.

KARACHI (Dunya News) – The case of a shocking kidnapping of 20-year-old female student Dua Mangi has shrouded in mystery as a special investigation team of police has failed to recover the girl and the concerned officials are still clueless about the motive for and suspects involved in the act.

Meanwhile, investigation team has decided to seek assistance from the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) in the case.

Dua was kidnapped at gunpoint from Karachi’s DHA Bukhari Commercial Area and her friend Haris was shot multiple times when both were strolling along the road after Dua had attended one of her friend’s birthday party.

Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah and Sindh Inspector General of Police (IGP) Dr Kaleem Aman have taken notice of the incident and ordered immediate inquiry into the alleged kidnapping.

Investigation officers have been ordered to use all means to trace the culprits and recover the girl safely. They have also assured the families of the two victims of their full support and cooperation.

Soon after the incident, multiple posts went viral on the social media, spreading shocking wave and panic amongst neighbourhoods of the region.

An FIR has been registered at Darakshan Police Station against unidentified men, under Sections 324 [attempted murder] and 365 [kidnapping or abducting with intent secretly and wrongfully to confine person] of the Pakistan Penal Code, on behalf of the injured man’s father.

The FIR stated that Haris, the friend of the abducted girl, told their family that he was going out to meet his friends.

The injured boy was rushed to a nearby hospital for medical attention, whereas the girl was whisked away by armed kidnappers.

Haris, wounded in the incident, was initially taken to the National Medical Center but later moved to the Aga Khan University Hospital. He, still in consciousness, immediately contacted his father and informed them about the incident.

Later, senior police officials, including district south operations and investigations SSPs, reached the crime spot and began an investigation into the incident.

The police have also recorded statements of the families and friends for any possible clues about the abductors. Police have also recorded the statements of waiters and staff at the tea cafes in the area.

According to the police, the perpetrators took off with Dua in a grey Honda Civic, the model of which was around four years old. Police will be investigating the cell phone data of both the victims and geo-fencing of the site will also be carried out.

Police have obtained eight different CCTV footages of the incident and have obtained statement of a rickshaw driver, who is claimed to have seen the incident.

The CCTV footage shows Dua and Haris walking down the street minutes before the incident. In the other footage, the kidnappers are seen taking the abductee with them.

To widen the scope of investigation, officials will also interrogate Dua’s social media friends, her family members and ex-fiancé namely Mazhar.

It is the second major kidnapping incident of a girl in the DHA. Earlier, another young girl was kidnapped in the same manner in May this year and was later released after her family paid a handsome ransom to the kidnappers.