FIR of Hangu police station mosque blasts registered

FIR of Hangu police station mosque blasts registered


According to Doaba SHO, there were 40 worshippers in the mosque when blast happened

HANGU (Dunya News) - A case has been registered for the twin suicide blasts at Hangu police station mosque.

According to details, the FIR of the suicide blasts at Doaba mosque of police station in Hangu has been registered on complaint of the SHO of the police station, in which unknown terrorists have been named.

Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Caretaker Chief Minister Muhammad Azam Khan, while seeking a report of the explosions, directed the rescue agencies and the district administration for undertaking immediate relief operations. He said officials of the relevant agencies should continue relief activities under their own supervision.

CM Azam has delcared emergency at Hangu hospitals and said that timely medical assistance should be provided to the injured of the blast.

At least four worshippers were killed and 12 sustained injuries in explosions inside a mosque in the Doaba police station in Khyber Pakthunkhwa’s Hangu on Friday, according to police.

Hangu District Police Officer (DPO) Nisar Ahmed confirmed the casualties. Six seriously injured people have been rushed to the Combined Military Hospital (CMH).

Hangu Deputy Commissioner Fazal Akbar said there were two blasts carried out by suicide attackers in the mosque on Doaba police station premises.

An explosion took place at the gate of the police station, while the second inside the mosque, he added.

Talking to Dunya News, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa IG Akhtar Hayat Gandapur said it was a suicide attack.

He said two suicide attackers reached the mosque in a car. On suspicion, police guards ordered them to stop, he added.

IG Gandapur said the attackers opened fire and in an exchange, one of them was killed while two police constables suffered injuries.

Most of the worshippers came out of the mosque when they heard the sound of gunfire. In the meantime, the second attacker entered the mosque and detonated explosives, he continued.

Due to the timely police action, many lives were saved, the IG stated.

Earlier, Doaba Station House Office (SHO) Shabraz Khan said there were around 30 worshippers in the mosque when the blast happened during the prayer leader's (imam) sermon.

Due to high intensity of blast, the roof of the mosque caved in and the worshippers trapped under the debris, the SHO added.

Emergency services have rushed to the site and rescue operation is underway.

According to Rescue 1122 spokesman, four ambulances have been rushed to the site from Hangu and two have been called from Kohat.

Heavy machinery had also been called to clear the rubble and retrieve the bodies and the injured.

Meanwhile, the KP government has imposed an emergency in hospitals across Hangu and Kohat.

In a statement, KP caretaker Chief Minister Azam Khan summoned a report on the incident from the police and instructed authorities to expedite the rescue operation.

He directed the commissioner and deputy commissioner concerned to supervise the rescue operation and assured provision of the best medical treatment to the wounded.