ISLAMABAD (Dunya News) - Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has expressed displeasure over display of pomp, privilege and self-promotion by senior administrative officials during the Independence Day parade in Islamabad.
In a formal communication, Establishment Division Joint Secretary (Discipline) Syeda Shafaq Hashmi conveyed the prime minister’s displeasure to Islamabad Inspector General of Police Syed Ali Nasir Rizvi and Chief Commissioner Sohail Ashraf.
The prime minister took serious notice of the two officials attending the August 14 ceremony in a horse-drawn carriage, an incident that also drew criticism on social media.
According to the letter, Prime Minister Shehbaz expressed “deep disappointment and displeasure”, saying such a display of grandeur and ostentation could create an impression of special privilege, arrogance and personal publicity.
He said such conduct was contrary to the principles of public service and stressed that civil servants and government officials should demonstrate humility, restraint, dignity and sound judgment in the discharge of their duties.
The prime minister further observed that such behaviour could undermine public confidence in state institutions and fall short of the standards expected from senior government officials.
The communication reminded the officials that, as administrators of the federal capital, they were expected to uphold the highest standards of conduct, decorum, responsible governance and propriety.
They were directed to exercise greater caution in the performance of their duties and ensure that such conduct was not repeated in the future.
The reprimand came after a video circulated widely on social media showing the two senior officials arriving at the August 14 parade in a carriage that appeared to be the presidential carriage.
The video drew criticism from social media users, with some describing the display as reminiscent of colonial-era symbols of privilege and authority.
However, Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi offered a different explanation and defended the officials.
In a post on X, Naqvi said the officials were not at fault and that the chief guest and the minister themselves had been delayed due to a meeting between the president and prime minister.
I know what happened was not appropriate, but I want to clarify that it was neither the IG’s nor the Chief Commissioner’s Islamabad fault. The Chief Guest and I were delayed due to the President’s meeting with the Prime Minister. The crowd had been waiting since 5:00 pm, and at… https://t.co/pkBmK45RMN
— Mohsin Naqvi (@MohsinnaqviC42) August 15, 2026He said people had been waiting since 5pm and the officials were instructed not to keep them waiting any longer and to start the ceremony at around 6pm.
According to the interior minister, the carriage had originally been reserved for the chief guest but had to be used by the two officials due to the circumstances.
Naqvi said the officials had initially refrained from starting the programme in the absence of the chief guest and the minister, but were formally instructed to proceed in order to avoid further inconvenience to the public.