TEHRAN (Dunya News) - Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi on Thursday condemned the United States’ latest economic pressure campaign against Tehran, describing President Donald Trump’s so-called “Economic D-Day” as an attempt to divert attention from America’s own economic difficulties.
In a post on X, Araghchi said the US campaign against Iran would ultimately fail, arguing that Washington’s continued reliance on what he called outdated and unsuccessful policies would bring further setbacks.
Trump had earlier announced what he described as the “most crushing economic operation” ever imposed on a country, targeting Iran as part of a broader campaign of economic warfare and isolation.
He said the measures were being launched after Tehran failed to reach an agreement with Washington.
Also Read: Iran says no talks underway with US, urges Washington to accept defeat
Araghchi hit back by highlighting the United States’ growing national debt and rising interest-payment costs.
He said the so-called “Economic D-Day” was primarily a means of shifting attention away from America’s own economic challenges.
The Iranian foreign minister also accused Washington of pursuing “economic terrorism,” warning that such policies were increasingly threatening the global economy and the economic sovereignty of countries.
His comments came as US national debt crossed the $40 trillion threshold.
The debt has more than doubled over roughly the past decade, underscoring the scale of the fiscal pressures facing the United States as Washington intensifies its economic confrontation with Tehran.