WASHINGTON/TEHRAN/ISLAMABAD (Agencies) – The United States and Iran signalled fresh momentum on Saturday towards ending nearly three months of conflict, with both sides reporting progress in negotiations being mediated by Pakistan as officials suggested a crucial breakthrough could emerge within days.
The latest developments followed intensive diplomatic activity in Tehran, where Pakistan’s Chief of Army Staff and Chief of Defence Forces, Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir, concluded a series of high-level engagements aimed at promoting de-escalation and moving both sides closer to an understanding.
Iranian officials said Tehran was now focused on finalising a memorandum of understanding with Washington, while US Secretary of State Marco Rubio indicated that meaningful progress had been achieved and that a public announcement could arrive within days.
"There has been some progress done, some progress made, even as I speak to you now, there is some work being done," Rubio told reporters during a visit to New Delhi. "There is a chance that, whether it's later today, tomorrow, in a couple days, we may have something to say."
The comments came amid intensified mediation efforts led by Pakistan, which has spent recent weeks attempting to narrow gaps between Washington and Tehran after a conflict that has rattled regional stability and disrupted global energy markets.
US-Iran mediation gains momentum as Field Marshal Asim Munir concludes key Tehran visit
The war, which has continued for nearly three months despite a fragile ceasefire, triggered major concerns over shipping routes through the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world's most critical energy corridors. Although a ceasefire remains in place, tensions have kept most commercial traffic restricted through the waterway, sending uncertainty through international oil markets.
In Tehran, Iran's chief negotiator Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf and Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi held discussions with Field Marshal Asim Munir as negotiations entered what officials described as a decisive stage.
Iranian state media also reported that the top Pakistani military commander met Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian before departing Tehran after marathon engagements with top civil and military leadership.
ISPR later described the previous 24 hours of negotiations as "highly productive", saying the talks had produced "encouraging progress towards a final understanding".
According to Iranian officials, discussions reportedly centred on a 14-point document proposed by Tehran, which Iranian negotiators consider the principal framework guiding current talks, alongside a series of exchanged messages between the two sides.
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei said recent discussions had shown signs of easing tensions but noted that key disagreements remained unresolved.
"The trend this week has been towards a reduction in disputes, but there are still issues that need to be discussed through mediators," Baghaei said. "We will have to wait and see where the situation ends in the next three or four days."
Baghaei said that while the US blockade on Iranian shipping remained an important issue, Tehran's immediate priorities centred on preventing renewed American military action and addressing the wider regional conflict, particularly ongoing fighting in Lebanon involving Iran-backed Hezbollah forces and Israeli troops operating in southern areas.
Iran also reiterated its position regarding the Strait of Hormuz, arguing that any future mechanism governing the strategic passage should involve coastal nations rather than Washington.
According to Iranian state media, Tehran said discussions regarding the waterway should take place between Iran, Oman and neighbouring states bordering the route, insisting the United States had no role in such arrangements.
Trump has 'no choice' but to accept Iran's demands, Tehran defence spokesman says
Meanwhile, Washington maintained its long-standing demands.
Rubio repeated the position laid out by US President Donald Trump, stating that Iran could never be allowed to acquire nuclear weapons and insisting that maritime routes remain open without restrictions.
"The straits need to be open without tolls. They need to turn over their enriched uranium," Rubio said.
Iranian negotiators, however, signalled that while diplomacy remained active, Tehran would not compromise on what it considers fundamental rights.
Qalibaf said Iran would continue pursuing its "legitimate rights" through diplomatic channels and military preparedness, while again questioning Washington's credibility.
He said Iran could not trust "a party that has no honesty at all", repeating accusations Tehran has made repeatedly during the conflict.
The senior Iranian official also warned that the country's military had rebuilt capabilities during the ceasefire period and cautioned that if the United States "foolishly restarts the war", any response would be "more forceful and bitter" than earlier stages of the conflict.
Separately, Trump told CBS that Washington and Tehran were "getting a lot closer" to finalising an agreement. According to reports, he said he planned to review the latest draft agreement with advisers and could decide by Sunday whether negotiations should continue or whether military action should resume.
According to an Axios report citing the US president, Trump said: "Either we reach a good deal or I'll blow them to a thousand hells."
The remarks followed reports from mediators suggesting a possible extension of the ceasefire arrangement by 60 days. According to the Financial Times, discussions under consideration include a phased reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, talks over transferring or diluting Iran's stockpile of enriched uranium and potential easing of restrictions on Iranian ports alongside sanctions relief measures.
Despite months of war, Iran is believed to have preserved its stockpile of near-weapons-grade enriched uranium as well as significant missile, drone and regional proxy capabilities, factors that remain central to US and Israeli security concerns.
Diplomatic activity now appears concentrated on the next several days, with officials on all sides signalling that the coming period could determine whether negotiations move towards a formal understanding or return to renewed confrontation.